The Cochineal Natural Dye Kit includes enough dye and mordants to create many beautiful reds, roses, plums, pinks and lavenders on your silk, cotton, wool, or other natural fabrics, yarns and fibers.
In your kit you will receive:
- Cochineal Dye - 4 ounces whole
- Tin Mordant - 1 ounce
- Copper Mordant - 1 ounce
- Iron Mordant - 1 ounce
- Alum Mordant - 4 ounces
- Oxalic acid assist - 1 ounce
- Chalk assist - 1 ounce
- Something special to dye: 12 squares of silk.
- Samples of pre-dyed yarns
- Guided, walk-through tutorial! Instructions for multitudes of colors with just this one dye. Plus the background and history pages from Cheryl's dye book "Brilliant Colours with Natural Dyes," and eight representative cochineal colors on silk yarn.
This is over a $125 value!
Suitable for teens and adults.
All mordants we supply and use are from naturally occurring minerals that come from the Earth. When the fabric biodegrades the minerals will return to the Earth from whence they came. There are no residuals left on the fabric as the minor amount of fixative is locked into the fibre.
For more information please see the article "The Myth of the Bad Mordant."